Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Paper and Oatmeal

It is a beautiful calm sight out my kitchen window. The sun is shining and the fall colors reflecting in the lake are so pretty. The geese and ducks just float by like they don't have a care in the world. I find it so relaxing to just gaze out this window. It has been such a great weekend with friends, a festival, and a new restaurant. I love days that I don't have to get up and rush out the door. They are few and far between so it is delightful when the opportunity comes along to take it slow.

I decided while eating my oatmeal, drinking a Teeccino and reading the paper, it was time to blog.

This mornings paper had a great article in it: 5 myths about healthy eating. I thought it was quite good and worth the read. In the article, myth #3, eating healthy is too expensive, it states: "A dinner of hot dogs and Devil Dogs is undeniable cheap. But a bowl of beans and rice with a banana on the side is cheaper. . . . Preparing a big pot of lentils for the week may not be glamorous, but it's much cheaper and not much more time-consuming than cooking up frozen pizza or mac and cheese." Now that is food for thought. Check out the article.


So, about that oatmeal.  Did I mention it is a raw oatmeal, and a true convenience food! Anyone who knows how to measure ingredients can make this. Even the kids! I am so hooked on it. I found the recipe on a fabulous website, Oh She Glows, which I now visit everyday! I have changed her recipe up a bit, but I must give credit to Angela for her brilliant creation. Here is a link to her Easy Vegan Overnight Oats.

This is my version. I make enough at a time for two mornings. My husband and I don't eat a large portion because our smoothie is the REAL breakfast for us, but we really enjoy this and it is packed with some great nutrition.

This is a picture of the morning after. Last night I combined in a bowl:

1 mashed banana
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups almond milk
4 Tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
sprinkled cinnamon (sorry didn't measure!)
raisins (sorry again I didn't measure!)

Stir it all until it is well combined and just cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. (that is when the chia seeds do their magic!!)

Today we added some dried cranberries, maple syrup (not too much) and a splash of almond milk.



At first I though raw uncooked oatmeal would be gross, but I was truly, and pleasantly surprised! I actually like it better. It isn't pasty like cooked oatmeal can get. The texture and flavor is excellent. Find out for yourself and try it! If you are not familiar with chia seeds, do some research. These seeds are a nutritional powerhouse all by themselves. Here's a link to get you started: Ten Benefits from this Power Food and Brain Food.

Now, out to enjoy this amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...