Friday, September 7, 2012

Kale Beet Salad

I love beets and I love kale. So finally they have been united in one bowl! What a great combination! So, for now this is my new favorite salad!

I started out with beets and red onion. I was too lazy to pull out my food processor to shred the beets so I pulled out my lazy tool, the julienne peeler!




I love this tool. I use it for carrots, cucumbers, zucchini and now beets. It is a hand held spiralizer! I do use my food processor or spiralizer when I am making a big batch of whatever, but when I am in a hurry and don't want the clean up mess, this is perfect.

So, back to the beet salad. I combined the beets and thinly sliced red onion with Apple Cider Vinegar and agave, and let them marinate while I worked on the rest of the ingredients. I love the beet red color. Natural beauty. 


While the beets and onions got to know each other I stripped the kale from the stalk and gave it a good bath, a few spins in the salad spinner and then it was off to the chopping block!


The kale was sliced and then put in a bowl for a great massage. With a splash of olive oil, some garlic granules and Himalayan salt on the kale, magic hands brought it to it's glorious state!


Can you see the difference in color before and then after the massage! The more it is massaged, the greener it gets, and the more the nutrients of the kale are released. Un-massaged kale is yucky, at least I think it is!


 The beets and onions joined the kale to form the beginning of a fabulous salad.


These greens and veggies are so happy to be together! For the final touches, I added some dried cranberries, slivered almonds and hemp seeds. It is my new favorite salad! Next time I might try adding raisins, walnuts and/or apple chunks. Maybe I will use flax oil instead of olive oil to add even more omega's to this salad. Oh the possibilities!! Just look at the colors! 


Can you beet this???



P.S.  Check out this info graphic all about beets that was just posted to facebook!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...