Monday, September 9, 2013

I needed Thousand Island Dressing

Because bottled salad dressing is processed and contains refined sugars, chemicals and other items that are who knows what, I choose to make my own salad dressings. It really is pretty easy and always fresh. This Thousand Island Dressing took some time to develop. I did lots of Google searching and found many recipes. A little from this one, and a little from that one, and I had a great dressing. Someone else out there may have this exact same combo??? I make it to use on my Reuben Salad.

But even before I make the dressing for my Reuben Salad, I had to make the Sauerkraut, which was a very fun process. That was a few blogs ago . . . I made Sauerkraut. And I had to make eggplant bacon too (since this is vegan, or course there would be no corn beef!). The dressing is the last thing I need to make so I can make one of my favorite salads.

So now, let's make dressing! The ingredients:


1/2 - 3/4 cup of cashews that have been soaked 3-4 hours, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil (less can work too)

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 20-30 minutes, 
drained and chopped (reserve soak water)

1/2 cup red onions, finely chopped*

1/4 teaspoon each:
salt, onion powder, & garlic powder

cayenne pepper - about three sprinkles (or more if you like)

1/2 cup of water which can include the sun-dried soak water if desired

Combine all these ingredients, *except only use 1/4 cup of the onions, in a blender and blend until smooth.


The last ingredient is chopped dill pickle. I use Bubbie's Relish. It is way faster than having to chop dill pickles! As you can see on the label there is no sugar added, or preservatives in this brand. That is important to me.


I still like to rinse the relish and press the liquid out before adding it to my dressing.


add to the blended mix:

1/2 - 3/4 cup of relish

the 1/4 cup of red onion that is remaining

and stir well.

Adjust the spices to taste. Add more water if the dressing is thicker than you like.

Done. Now wasn't that easy. A little jar for Mom, and a big one for me!


This dressing also makes a good dip, and a great spread for wraps.

Guess it is time to make that Reuben Salad. Soon. Very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...