Monday, August 6, 2012

I LOVE chips!

I have finally perfected sweet potato chips! Well, at least I just had a very successful batch! The main problem with these chips is they don't last long! And it is not due to their shelf life, but because we eat them so fast! I love sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are power-packed with all kinds of wonderful nutrients!

 

Sweet potato chips are really easy to make, once you get the mistakes out of the way. I have made these a number of times and have learned something each time. I think the biggest lesson I learned is to make sure to cut them almost paper thin. I was slicing them too thick, and marinating them too long. They just never got crispy no matter how long I dehydrated them.

So this is what I now do. Peel the sweet potato. Using a mandolin, make thin slices of the sweet potato. As thin as you can. 


Next decide what you want to put on the sweet potato. I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar as a base and then add a seasoning. (Thank you Raw Intentions for this tip!) I have added Himalayan salt and cayenne pepper, or cinnamon.  Put the vinegar in a zip lock bag and then add whatever seasoning you want. 


Add the sweet potatoes and shake them in the bag enough to just coat the potatoes. This is a quick in and out of the bag affair. Previously I was doing this stage in a bowl and letting the potatoes sit in the liquid for 30 minutes or so, and it just made them too wet and the dehydrating process took way too long and was not successful.


As soon as the potatoes are coated, begin placing them on the dehydrator screen. Put them as close to each other as you can to fit as many as possible on a tray. They will shrink 50% or more in size during the drying process.


I was dehydrating the potatoes at 105 degrees. This last batch - the first successful one - I dehydrated the potatoes at 115 degrees. I don't know if that was the key to success, or the fact that I sliced them thinner, or that I didn't soak them, or if it was a combination of all those things? Speaking of dehydrators, I use a 5 draw Excalibur. I love it! My next one will be a nine draw Excalibur!


The drying time will definitely vary. This batch took less than 24 hours to get to a nice crispy state.  I start checking them after 12 hours or so. I can always tell how many times I check them because half a tray might be gone before they are even ready!! 

Once they are ready, put them in a plastic container. I am not really sure what their shelf life would be because we have never had any left after a day or two!


So, if sweet potatoes work this well, I wonder if I can be as lucky with zucchini? As I write this, my zucchini experiment is in the dehydrator. I used my new favorite, golden zucchini from the Farmer's Market to make these chips. I did it the exact same way as the sweet potato method. I sliced the zucchini on my mandolin as thin as possible.


I used Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in a plastic Zip Lock bag with Himalayan Salt, Oregano and Basil. 





I'll let you know how these turn out!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...