Thursday, July 19, 2012

I love my life!

Happy "New Life" Birthday Number Two to Me!

Can you remember times in your life that changed you forever? Maybe marriage, a birth of a child, a death, an event, a person who touched your life, or maybe a decision you made? There are so many life events. One such for me was a life-giving event. It happened two years ago. July 19, 2010. Exactly one month after my 60th birthday. It was a decision I made to simply choose to eat whole living foods. Nothing earth shattering. I gave up processed food, refined sugars, and meat. What followed has been a journey I never would have even been able to dream up! My live has been changed in so many positive ways.

So why did I do it? At that point in my life it was more like why not! I was pretty miserable. Fibromyalgia had been part of my life for several years, my weight was up, my cholesterol was up, my prescription costs were up, and stress was up. I was always tired, always aching, and afraid that it was all downhill from where I was. I thought that the way I felt was just part of getting old. Adapt and deal with it. So when changing what I was eating to fix lots of these problems was proposed by my Doctor, why not! What did I have to lose?

I decided to give it six weeks. It turned into a new start, the beginning of a new me and a new life-style. My six weeks has turned into two years. And I am never going back! I had immediate results, and like a new baby that develops in nine months, I did too. And it is still happening.

My eating habits have evolved over the two years. Processed foods, meat, and refined sugars were the first to go, then cheese and dairy, and then all of a sudden coffee and caffeine were no longer a choice, and now new foods that I had never even heard of two years ago fill my plate. Oh the glories of eating! The produce department has become my pharmacy! I love standing in the doorway of my refrigerator! Most of my food isn't even cooked anymore! It is incredible what can be created with raw food!

I feel the best I have felt in years. I have more energy today than I did ten years ago. I certainly do not feel "old." I do not get sick. I am happy. I handle life with a different perspective and clarity. I have a better attitude of gratitude. I have been blessed by new friends and people who have had an amazing positive impact on my life in the last two years. And I am proud that my example has helped others change their own lives as well.

I have certainly had lots of people in my life who don't really understand why and how I can choose this lifestyle. And that is OK. And then I have had those in my life who have truly supported my choices, given me encouragement, and totally understand it. My husband has supported me, and the choices I have made, from the beginning. His pride at times was almost embarrassing (but don't stop honey!!!). He is like having a personal cheer leader. But the best part is we now share this lifestyle, and he too has been changed. And I truly love that. We are healthy and happy together!

I do believe we are what we eat. I believe God made our bodies to work in perfect harmony with the living foods He has provided us. I believe no one is responsible for my health, except me. I believe my choices have made all the difference in my life. I am adding years to my life and life to my years. I believe knowledge is power, and I continue to seek and find all that I can that pertains to nutrition and health. I am saddened by the manipulation and greed of our government and other individuals when it comes to the food and dairy industries, pharmaceutical companies, and the well being of our people,  but hopeful that each of us can make a small difference that collectively will result in great changes.

So happy "new life" birthday to me!
It feels so good to be the new me!  
Today begins year number three!

2 comments:

  1. My rheumatologist, Dr. Malloy, referred me to your page. My fibromyalgia has overtaken my life! I am miserable and in chronic pain. So when he recommended that I check out your blog and start eating a fruit and vegetable diet, I decided to start right then! As of three days ago, I have had nothing but mostly vegetables with some fruits and I already feel better!! The strangest thing is that I have more clarity of mind than I've had in forever. I know it's from eating better. Thank you for this blog, for being an inspiration to people like me, and I'm really happy for you! Happy New Life Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime,
    Thank you for your comment. It is just amazing how food can change our lives, in both good and bad ways, and I am so grateful that I changed mine. It truly does work and even though there is some adjustment in the beginning, after a while it is just habit. I immediately noticed clarity of mind too. I would encourage you to continue on this plant based diet journey and see where it takes you. You might be quite surprized!! Please feel free to email me or contact me any time and I would be happy to share any of my experiences with you. I wish you lots of feel good days ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...