Tuesday, March 13, 2012

This time I was not a guest.

I was a volunteer.

There is really something very gratifying about being a volunteer. Especially when it is something that is a passion. My husband is the king of volunteers. He has volunteered at the Tulsa Air and Space Museum for well over ten years regularly, he's chaired our town's Park and Recreation Board for 6 or 8 years, and just recently agreed to serve on a board for the museum's planetarium. Those are his passions and he shares his time and talents generously.

What would the world do without volunteers???

One of my passions is being a vegan. I know that is hard for many to understand, but being a vegan is what gave me my life back. So why wouldn't I be passionate about that?? Learning that food can be my medicine, shedding all the ailments that I suffered with prior to becoming a vegan, being free of drugs, and having a sense of empowerment over my health is quite an accomplishment and joy. This knowledge and experience is something I want to share with everyone I know, because I want them to have that same experience.  But not everyone is there. Many just don't get it. So I have to respect that, even if it is very frustrating to watch people I love fill themselves with non-nutritional foods, preservatives, chemicals and drugs. What is even harder for me to do is to watch them be ill.

When I can be with people that share my same passion it is always an energizing, motivating and satisfying experience. It affirms what I believe in, and gives me the opportunity to share my passion, and maybe help someone else along the way. I have friends that are dedicating their life to just that.

And now, back to where I started this post . . . "This time I was not a guest. I was a volunteer."

Any of you who know me, or follow my blog, know that I am always mentioning Raw Intentions, or the Raw Intentions Kitchen or maybe a class at Whole Foods given by Denise Madeja, who is Raw Intentions. She is one of those people I was just referring to, and someone I like being around. So when the opportunity presented itself to help with Dinner and a Movie Night, rather than be a guest, I jumped at the chance. After all, it was time to put that Food Handler License to work!! (There's that volunteer - passion connection!)

So much goes into Dinner and a Movie night. Planning, dehydrating, mixing, chopping, and of course tasting!


It takes hours to get ready. I loved volunteering for this event.
Helping in the kitchen made me feel part of something big. 

The table was set and all was ready.


Time to open the door



and in they came.


The food tonight was extraordinary.
Mexican Fiesta Night!


Chips and Salsa


Bacon Wrapped, Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers


Kale Tortilla Soup


Tacos. These were unbelievable. 
The taco shell was filled with, "not-refried" beans, 
guacamole, shredded red cabbage and chilpotle sour cream.
Simply brilliant!


Listening to the comments of those attending was one of the highlights of the night. The wow's, the OMG this tastes amazing, to the discussion that followed the movie. It demonstrated a hunger for more than just food, but also knowledge, which is a perfect appetizer to renewed health.

Following dinner, May I be Frank was shown. This movie documents the transformation of a 52 year old man, Frank Ferrante, who is plagued by drug addiction and illness, and is very unhappy with his life. It is a very moving and life changing story. There is a trailer to the movie available on YouTube. It is only about five minutes long and would be well worth your time to watch it. This link will bring you right to it.

The night ended with dessert. A light tasty dish of ice cream. Two flavors. Oh, and no cream.


With each Dinner and Movie Night, I say, "This is my favorite one yet." 

Well, this was my favorite one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...