Monday, January 10, 2011

Veggie Bath

Ha, I bet you thought I was now taking a bath with my vegetables when you saw the title!

I learned how to wash vegetables in a most efficient way recently, watching a YouTube that I can't find now!  It is really a terrific method, and it is amazing how much dirt you can have on your greens!

First, fill a bowl with clean water.  I put a big bowl in one of my sinks.  Then put your greens in the "bath" bowl. Swish the greens, or whatever the vegetable is, around with both hands.


Then remove the greens to a colander, which I have in my other sink.  Do not dump the water and greens into the colander because the dirt that is in the water will stay with the greens. Just move the greens with your hands.


Once the greens are moved to the colander, dump the dirty water from the bath bowl,  rinse them in the colander, and then return them to a clean bowl of "bath" water.  Repeat this action until the water in the bath bowl is clean.  Usually three or four times. 


Check out how much dirt is left in the bowl!



The two pictures below are from the first bath of organic parsley!




Can you believe how much dirt there is!  Just rinsing really doesn't get all the dirt off.  I took what I thought was already clean curly kale from the refrigerator and with this method there was still dirt!

Now put your greens or whatever, in a salad spinner.  Boy, does this save on the paper towels!! If you don't have one, it is a great investment!



Once dry, I put them in a zip lock bag and get as much air out as possible, and then put it in the refrigerator.  It makes it really nice when I am ready to use it by saving prep time, and it also stays fresh much longer.


So, the bottom line is: try a veggie bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...