Sunday, February 12, 2012

I was watching them . . .

. . . and I think they were watching me!

I spent my day in the kitchen. As you may know, it is one of my favorite things to do. Today, however, I was mesmerized and distracted by all the activity in my back yard. Between the birds and ducks on the lake, there was always something to watch. And I swear, they were watching me too!


You can't tell me he isn't looking at me!


Then he sent his woman over to check me out too!

And I just know all the mourning doves were trying to figure out what I was doing in the kitchen today. They looked in from the tree branches, and then gathered around the watering hole to compare notes.



I think they were all talking about me because the kitchen gets so messy. 


I can't help it. It just happens!

In spite of all their distractions, I did get the macaroons made and put in the dehydrator, and the mint chocolate squares came out quite well too!



I am still not sure why there was so much action outside today. Maybe it has something to do with the storm that is supposedly approaching. We had an unusual amount of mallards on the lake today, the regular ducks and geese hung around the whole day and seemed to be swimming in circles.


It seems a bit ironic for this robin, (isn't a robin a sign of spring?) to be getting a drink at a watering hole that is coated in ice. 


A mourning dove sat by the fountain for a really long time. Maybe that one is the guard?


Eventually it got dark. I closed the shades so we couldn't see each other any more. I ended the day in the kitchen making a really great soup. I must have had something once that had curry in it that I didn't like, so I have avoided curry dishes since. But for some reason this Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew appealed to me and I decided to make it. What a hit. My husband and I both loved it. We even had seconds (and I was considering thirds but controlled myself!)! I did cut the amount of curry in half, and I doubled the amount of greens (spinach and kale), but otherwise, made the recipe as directed. This will be a do-over in our house. I visit Oh She Glows often to check out her recipes.


Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...