Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Blizzard Aftermath

Wednesday, February 2, 2011. Groundhog Day. No shadow - early Spring.  Ha, hard to imagine that as we look out our windows.

It is currently 4 degrees with a wind chill of -11 degrees. The sun is out and the sky is a beautiful blue. Our lake is frozen and the geese are skating today. The birds and squirrels are quite busy as I write this.  The snow is undisturbed and reflects the shadows from the trees, the glistening ice crystals from the sun's reflection, and creates an artist's canvas.

I gazed out my kitchen window watching all the activity for a long time. Notice how cool the shadows are on the snow. The ice on the water reflects the blue sky so beautifully. It is so very peaceful.

Today's smoothie was almost like a milk shake.  I had some almond milk so decided to use it up. In the blender I put:
  • frozen banana slices
  • almond milk
  • a pear
  • spoonful of cacao and maca
  • sprig of parsley
  • spinach
  • crushed ice and water  
For those of you who don't really like the heavy green taste, this one would be good for you.  Plus the benefits from the maca and the cacao are really great.

We have watched the TV for quite a while this morning. The Channel 6 helicopter has been showing video of the area. I have never seen anything quite like this here in Oklahoma, except maybe our December ice storm a few years ago. Everything is shut down. Highways remain closed and cluttered with vehicles, schools, businesses, and even Woodland Hills mall closed! Big semi trucks are stranded and lined up for miles on the turnpike both east and west of the city since yesterday. It looks like someone has been playing with matchbox cars when the helicopter flies over.

Check out some of the video on our local station:

My husband decided he would shovel the driveway, a little bit at a time. So I bundled up too and went outside. Not to shovel, but to take a few pictures.  I was not out there very long, maybe 5 minutes, and my face was so cold I came back in. The wind chill is a minus 11, which is only a few degrees colder than what we expect to wake up to tomorrow morning. Then the actual temperature is predicted to be minus 8!! Crazy!

I will close with this last picture.  It is of our front door.  I don't think we will be coming in that door for a while!

Well, maybe one more picture. Here are the geese sitting on the ice. Napping maybe??



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...